How Many People Would Benefit from Captioning in New Zealand? Statistics vary across the world but it is commonly thought that 1 in 6 has a degree of hearing loss.
We’ve been asked this a lot recently so here are some stats. As this campaign is run purely on a voluntary basis so no flashy infographics from us sorry….
• NZ Stats say 380,000 New Zealanders are Deaf/HOH – 8.5 % of the population.
• 1 in 3 people over the age of 65 are affected by disabling hearing loss. In 2009, 13% of the NZ population was over the age of 65, by 2031 this will be 21%
• New Zealand Sign Language is the natural language of the Deaf community and is used by more than 24,000 people every day in New Zealand.
• Statistics vary across the world but it is commonly thought that 1 in 6 people have a degree of hearing loss, and as population ages, it is increasing to 1 in 4 by 2050
• The Action on Hearing Loss/Royal National Institute for the Deaf in the UK and the Deafness Forum in Australia both state that 1 in 6 people have some type of hearing loss, and, as populations age, and infection and noise damage continues WHO predicts it will increase to 1 in 4 by 2050.
• The National Foundation for the Deaf applies this statistic and states that over 700,000 New Zealanders have some type of hearing loss. WHO believe 1:19 people have severe hearing loss
Captioning can also help….
Literacy – There are 760,000 children at school in New Zealand (excluding early childhood centres)
English as a second language – 25.2% of New Zealanders were born overseas. A significant percentage of these speak English as a second language
Many with alternative learning styles – including people with autism, dyslexia etc.
Research conducted by Ofcom, the UK Office of Communication, showed that 80% of the people using captions were not Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
Search Engines – Captioning helps search engines find content too by enabling them to look at all of the words in a video file and not just the name of the video. It’s good business sense!
New Zealand and New Zealanders of all ages benefit from captioning – On TV, On Demand, Online. Good broadcasters, media companies and video producers caption by choice, for the rest, we need legislation!